The Roundup is a regular column which collates (and curates) news, feature articles, podcast episodes and other online curios associated with film.
- You Wouldn’t Steal a Car (or would you?): Wolf Creek actor John Jarratt took aim at film piracy.
- Todd Solondz is directing Weiner-Dog, a pseudo-sequel to his 1995 breakout hit Welcome to the Dollhouse, to star Greta Gerwig and Julie Delpy.
- The “movie star in video game” trend continues with Kevin Spacey starring in the upcoming video game Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. See the trailer here.
- David Bordwell on the classic narrative strategies of Gone Girl.
- Aliza Ma on the expressionistic horror of Scorsese’s Shutter Island. (Reverse Shot)
- See all of Fellini’s commericals (with an informative write-up). (Sight & Sound)
- The new Austrian Film Museum curator and former Die Presse critic Christoph Huber has started a blog, Following Film, leading with this must-read mission statement.
- Todd Haynes talked in depth about his upcoming film Carol at the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago. (IndieWire)
- Listen Up Philip‘s Alex Ross Perry and Jason Schwartzman on their Top 5 Movie Narcissists. (Filmspotting)
- New episode of Filmwax Radio with New German Cinema legend Volker Schlöndorff (who also made an appearance this week doing his Criterion DVD Picks) and The Heart Machine’s Zachary Wigon and Kate Lyn Shiel.
- Scott Tobias and Kevin B. Lee’s video essay Terrence Malick: Voiceover Artist. (The Dissolve)
- Ignatiy Vishnevetsky’s short film Jonathan Rosenbaum, Present. (Keyframe Daily)
- Donate to a worthy film cause: Film Ferrania’s Kickstarter campaign aiming to fund the refurbishment of an analogue film factory in Italy that plans to provide a ton of celluloid for projects around the world. (Quick, only 5 days left!)
- New trailer for upcoming Orson Welles’ doc Magician.
Tweet of the Week
Wow, can’t believe all the avengers kissed and started discussing their favourite belle and sebastian songs in that trailer. pretty coool
— Willow, but now evil (@willow_catelyn) October 23, 2014